1

R.I.P. Max the Betta Fish

Posted by Felicia on 7:38 AM

It was a sad, sad morning in our household.Colin's betta Max (ok..haha..beta max, but seriously) died. He got stuck in a little decorative ceramic pot that was in his bowl. Apparently he couldn't wiggle his way out. Of course Colin was very upset. The situation ended up being ridiculous and hysterical all at the same time. I'll lay it down for ya.
I grabbed the fish bowl and set it on the counter so I could retrieve the dead fish and gather his other fish Bubbles so he wouldn't head down the drain. Immediately our cat Milo jumps onto the counter sink and starts poking his head in to see what's going on. He usually never does this so I know he is intrigued and must smell the fish. I move him out of the way and start transferring the other fish so I can clean the bowl. I turn the other way and hear Colin screaming at our OTHER cat Daisy because she had managed to jump on the counter unawares and had by then started drinking the fish water with Bubbles swimming around. I grab the cat and got her off the counter only to see that Milo has jumped back up and is now sniffing and licking the dead fish. Oh...my gawd. By this time I am laughing so hard I can't see, and Colin is equal parts crying and laughing and shouting " It's NOT funny MOM!" Oh, but it was.

We finally got the cats off of the counter and cleaned everything up, and transferred the one remaining fish to his bowl. The cats had moved into the livingroom pouting over their missed fish breakfast. Colin started planning a burial for this afternoon. I now have a little fish corpse in a baggie in my fridge to keep him "fresh" for his burial later. IN MY FRIDGE. Life doesn't get any better than this does it?
And I mean that in the best possible way.

|

1 Comments


I'm so sorry about your tragic loss. =/

I have lost several Beta's down the drain, as well as crippling one by accidentally dropping it. I thought he was dead at first, but the poor fish managed to live for several days with an obviously broken spine or something. I should have put him out of his misery but the fact that he didn't die right off gave me hope he'd get better. Oops.

Copyright © 2009 Bread, W(h)ine & Cheez All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.